This is flash report. Full report coming soon.
GMs Wesley So, Hikaru Nakamura, Nihal Sarin, and Anish Giri advanced to the semifinals on Thursday at the Chess.com Global Championship Finals.
So displayed the extensive range of his abilities, outplaying GM Dmitry Andreikin in attacking, ending, and complex strategic positions to win the match in just six games. Sarin’s sharp and creative play under pressure gained him victory vs. GM Sam Sevian in the battle between the two youngest competitors. In a neck-and-neck match between two players who specialize in precision, Giri inched ahead in an armageddon playoff vs. GM Teimour Radjabov.
Despite the result seeming like a foregone conclusion after Nakamura’s 4-0 lead the day before, GM Jan-Krzystof Duda made it a real fight today, winning two must-win games in a row. Nakamura’s perceptive attacking play ended his opponent’s run in game seven.
The semifinals start on Friday, November 4, starting at 9 a.m. PT / 17:00 CET.
So, Nakamura, Giri, and Sarin advance closer to their chance at the $200,000 first prize for the 2022 Chess.com Global Champion. Duda, Andreikin, Sevian, and Radjabov each earn $25,000 for their efforts as quarterfinalists.
The 2022 Chess.com Global Championship (CGC) is the first Chess.com global championship cycle open to all Chess.com verified players. Players compete in official Chess.com verified events for their share of the $1,100,000 prize fund and the Chess.com Global Champion title.
Chess legends, such as GMs Viswanathan Anand, Vasyl Ivanchuk, Vladimir Kramnik, and Veselin Topalov, compete against today’s best (online) players, including GMs Hikaru Nakamura, Ding Liren, Levon Aronian, and Jan-Krzysztof Duda, and more.
- Perfect 4-0 Day For Nakamura, Dismantles Bongcloud In CGC Finals
- How To Watch The Chess.com Global Championship Finals
- Underdogs Eliminate World Championship Challengers From CGC In Day Of Upsets
- Giri, Duda Shut Down Dark Horses, Earn Seats In Toronto Finals
- Nakamura Neutralizes Dominguez, Andreikin Upsets Caruana
- So Edges Out Xiong, Aronian Knocks Out Sevian
- Experience Bests Youth: Radjabov Knocks Out Erigaisi
- Sarana ‘Immortal’ Upsets Mamedyarov; Duda, Xiong Cruise Through
- Favorites Advance; Abdusattorov, Kramnik Eliminated
- So Sweeps Ivanchuk, Dominguez Defeats Hansen
- Sevian Scores Spectacular Upset; Caruana, Andreikin Advance
- American Favorites Clean House
- Sweet Revenge, Stunning Upsets
- Svidler Sweeps Shirov, Favorites Triumph
- Legends Fall, Prodigies Prevail
- Kramnik and Sevian Sweep Inaugural Matches
- Anand, Ivanchuk, Kramnik, Topalov Among Global Chess Championship Participants
- Announcing The $100,000 CGC Bracket Contest
- Chess.com Global Championship 2022: All The Information